Most students, including transfer students, who plan to register for a course at Western that has a mathematics prerequisite must first take the ALEKS Math Placement Assessment (MPA) TWICE. The MPA also serves as a prerequisite for some courses in other departments such as Astronomy, Chemistry, Computer Science, Decision Sciences, Economics, Environmental Sciences and Studies, Geology, Physics and Science Education. Taking the MPA may save students both time and money. See Exceptions
Students must activate their Universal Account in order to access ALEKS. Because this is an online assessment, students will need access to a computer and high speed internet connection. Have scratch paper and pencils handy, too.
ALEKS Math Placement Assessment (MPA) costs $35 and is considered nonrefundable. The charge will added to your WWU student account after you complete the practice assessment. Please scroll down for additional information.
(If you are having connection difficulties, please try a different browser)
When do students take the Math Placement Assessment (MPA)?
Students may take the MPA any time after they activate their Universal Account. It is recommended that students take the MPA early, so as to allow time to work through the preparation and learning modules and to retake the MPA to improve their score. Students should complete the MPA at least two weeks before attending a new student orientation program. Please be aware that failure to take both MPA #1 (practice) and MPA #2 (official) before orientation will delay registration for a math course or other courses that require a math prerequisite, such as Astronomy, Chemistry, Computer Science Decision Sciences, Economics, Environmental Science, Environmental Studies, Geology, Physics and Science Education.
What does the Math Placement Assessment (MPA) cover? How long is it?
ALEKS (Assessment and Learning in Knowledge Spaces) MPA is an adaptive assessment instrument covering material from Basic Math through Precalculus. ALEKS is designed to determine a student’s knowledge base in mathematics. Each Assessment has 30 questions and will take approximately 60-90 minutes to complete, and you will need to take a minimum of two assessments. While each MPA takes only 60-90 minutes to complete, the system will allow access for 72 hours once each assessment is started, so no need to panic if you should have internet connectivity issues. Note that assessment #2 (not #1) is the score that will count for math placement.
ALEKS Math Placement Assessment (MPA) consists of 4 parts:
- A Practice Math Assessment #1, which does not serve for math placement/registration.
- The Prep and Learning Module, an individualized, self-paced online review for those who want to improve their skills. Students must start this within 6 months of taking the practice math assessment.
- Math Placement Assessment #2, which does serve for math placement at Western.
- Access to 2 additional Math Placement Assessments.
How much does the ALEKS Math Placement Assessment (MPA) cost?
The Math Placement Assessment package costs $35, and includes:
- The Practice Math Assessment (MPA #1);
- The Prep and Learning Module, an individualized, self-paced online review for those who want to improve their skills. Students must start this within 6 months of taking the practice math assessment;
- A second (and official) Math Placement Assessment (MPA #2) that will serve for math placement at Western;
- Access to 2 additional Math Placement Assessments (must be completed within one year of initial practice assessment).
The $35 charge will be added to the WWU Student Account automatically when a student completes the practice assessment, and is considered non-refundable. Payment is due within 30 days and may be submitted online at https://wp.wwu.edu/sbo/