Western’s TESOL Certiﬁcate program prepares students to work abroad teaching English or working with immigrants in the U.S. Learning formats include online options for international or out-of-area students, on-campus classes in Bellingham, or a combination of the two.
Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages, Certificate
About our Program
At a Glance
Area of Study
Education, English Language Instruction
Face to face and online
Number of Courses
There is a growing demand around the world for trained TESOL professionals. A certificate demonstrates evidence of in-depth training, opening doors to opportunities internationally and domestically. Employment is often found in public and private sectors, international language schools, community language settings for recent immigrants, and community college ESL classes.
Possible national or international occupations include:
- English Language Instructor
- Demonstrate an understanding of language as a system and demonstrate a high level of competence in helping ESL/EFL students acquire and use English in listening, speaking, reading, and writing for social and academic purposes,
- Apply concepts, theories, research, and practice to facilitate the acquisition of a primary and new language in and out of classroom settings and plan classroom instruction in a supportive learning environment for ESL/EFL students,
- Use major concepts, principles, theories, and research related to the nature and role of culture in language development and academic achievement that support individual students' learning
- Serve as an effective English language model in multilevel classrooms with learners from diverse backgrounds,
- Evaluate and adapt a wide range of standards-based materials, resources, and technologies for effective ESL teaching, and
- Uphold a professional standard of conduct and collaborate effectively with other professionals to improve learning for all ESL/EFL students; serve as professional resources, advocate for ESL students, and build partnerships with the community.
“TESOL is an opportunity to see the world. The benefit of the program at Western is that they prepare you for teaching English in any classroom, in any setting in the world. I feel like I could walk into a classroom anywhere and immediately connect with the students.”
This certificate can be used both domestically and internationally as evidence of in-depth training in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL).
For a complete listing of TESOL certificate courses and admission requirements, please visit Western’s Course Catalog.