The Zauchner IEP Study Scholarship provides full tuition, student fees, health insurance, SEVIS fee, textbooks, and on campus housing and dining for students to study in the Intensive English Program at Western Washington University. Those eligible for the scholarship must meet the qualifications stated below.
Applicants must be European citizens of Austrian or German descent, who have completed gymnasium and who demonstrate strong academic or language-learning potential. Applicants may be current undergraduate or graduate students, although this is not a requirement of the scholarship.
Applicants must be accepted into the Intensive English Program and must be eligible to apply for an F-1 Student Visa for study in the United States. Applicants must be able to pay transportation costs to and from Bellingham, Washington State, U.S.A.
Applicants must demonstrate academic ability. Preference will be given to students with a Grade Average of 2.0 (equivalent to a U.S. Grade Point Average of 3.0 or B) or higher in gymnasium or university work. Other criteria, such as financial need, educational and career goals, and participation in school activities and community service will be strongly considered.
Applicants may apply for one quarter, with the possibility of extending to two quarters after level placement has been determined. Strong educational and career goals will be a major factor in awarding scholarships of more than one quarter.
- Complete the Intensive English Program (IEP) application.
- Prepare the following documents to submit with the IEP application:
- Unofficial grade transcripts from universities or gymnasiums attended
- A copy of passport or government ID
- Two letters of recommendation, preferably from former or current teachers or professors
- Grade transcripts
- Write a one-page statement, in English (to the best of your ability), about why you want to study in the U.S., and what you hope to do with your English study experience. This statement should be completed on a separate page.
Include your educational and career goals.
Why you want to study English in the U.S. and what you hope to do with your study abroad experience.
Include your need for scholarship funds if applicable.
Include any significant activities and/or honors attained while in gymnasium and university.
- Submit your IEP application and the required documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadlines for 2018-2019 Academic Year:
Fall 2018: March 1, 2018
Winter 2019: June 1, 2018
Spring 2019: September 1, 2018
Summer 2019: January 2, 2019
Applications are due by the deadlines listed above. Applications will be reviewed right after these deadlines and scholarships will be offered to selected applicants within 1 week. Scholarship recipients will have 1 week to accept the offer.
1. Upon acceptance, an acknowledgement acceptance letter will be sent to you. Submit a one to two paragraph statement to email@example.com, formally accepting the scholarship award within one week.
2. An acceptance letter, financial guarantee, and I-20 will be mailed to you. Once you receive your I-20, you can make an appointment at the consulate for your visa.
3. Take your I-20 and other documents with you to your visa interview.
- An original I-20 (not a copy)
- A passport valid for at least 6 months.
- Proof of intention to stay in the USA “temporarily and solely for the purpose of pursuing a course of study”
- Proof of residence outside the USA to which the student intends to return.
The following documents are also required for your visa interview, but will be provided by the IEP office:
- Proof of financial ability to cover the cost of tuition and living expenses.
- SEVIS (I-901) fee receipt.
4. Apply for housing (dormitory style with 100 Meal Plan) and confirm your arrival. These items will be sent via email after acceptance to the IEP.
5. For tax purposes, recipients of the scholarship must complete this form: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw8ben.pdf and return it to the IEP office. See the instructions on the IRS website or contact the IEP office with questions.