Who can register for Summer Session?

Summer Session courses are open to continuing and new students, students returning to Western after some time away, visiting and international students, high school students and community members.

Do I need to be formally admitted to Western to attend Summer Session? 

No. If you are not a currently-admitted student, simply review the Registration Checklist and complete the Summer Registration Application to be given access to registration. If you plan to continue taking courses after summer quarter and want to be admitted, contact Western’s Office of Admissions or Graduate School for the academic application information.

How long is Summer Session? 

Western’s 6-week session runs June 20 - July 28, 2017; the 9-week session runs June 20 - August 18, 2017. In addition, there are other courses with varying start and end dates throughout the quarter. Academic year quarters cover 11 weeks, so shortened versions of courses during summer quarter mean that many of them are offered in a concentrated form.

Is there a final exam week during summer? 

No. Exams are scheduled at the instructor’s discretion. 

Is there a limit to the number of credits I can take during summer quarter? 

You are advised to take a lighter credit load during summer due to the concentrated nature of study. The maximum credit load is 18. Special permission from the Registrar is required to take additional credits.

How do I pay my tuition and fees? 

There are multiple payment methods. To see options, please refer to the Summer Resource Guide

How and when can I register? 

Continuing students register May 2-5 electronically by appointment, on Web4U. Visiting students begin registration upon completion of the application process but not before May 8. After midnight on Monday, June 26, registration can only be completed in person by submitting a Summer Registration Application to the Registrar’s Office (requires picture ID and overrides). See Registration Information for details. 

Is financial aid available? 

Financial aid may be available to students formally admitted to Western in an approved degree or certificate program. There is limited financial aid funding available for summer quarter. Contact the Financial Aid Department or call (360) 650-3470 for more information. 

How much does Summer Session cost?

See the Summer Session Tuition Rates for Residents, Non-Residents, Graduate and Undergraduates.

Additional mandatory campus fees are detailed on Summer Session Tuition and Fees page and include Services & Activities, Legislative Action and Sustainable Action Fund fees. Special course fees may also apply and are listed in the online Timetable or in Classfinder.

Students enrolled in six or more credits in Bellingham will pay mandatory fees (health services, building, recreation, transportation, technology, and legislative action fees).

Students enrolled in less than six (6) credits will be charged a mandatory fees (technology and legislative action) of $18.50. 

When are tuition and fees due? 

Tuition and fees are due the first day of the quarter. A $40 late payment fee is applied for charges not paid by July 15, and the 15 of every month thereafter. A 1% interest charge will be assessed monthly on all past due accounts

Can I stay in Bellingham campus housing during Summer Session?

Both residence hall rooms and apartments are available during the summer. Call (360) 650-2950. 

When will my summer grades and/or degree be on my official transcript? 

Grades will be posted to students’ records by August 25 and summer transcripts will be mailed out beginning August 26. Transcripts showing your degree are available shortly after that date.

Have a Question

Extended Education would like to hear from you with any comments or questions you may have.

Email EE with your question

Follow Us

Subscribe to news and events from Extended Education. Choose an interest or leave it blank to receive our general news emails.

Subscribe to eNews

Our Locations

Western Washington University is conveniently located throughout the Puget Sound and the Central Salish Sea regions.

Visit us at one of our locations.

Support Extended Education

Extended Education is a self-supporting institution. Your support helps us fulfill our mission to share the Western Experience with students of all ages.