Are there exceptions to the requirement for ALEKS Math Placement Assessment (MPA)?
For access to certain math courses at WWU, some students do not need to take the MPA. If you are unsure whether you meet one of the following exceptions, contact the Academic Advising Center at (360) 650-3850 or the Department of Mathematics at (360) 650-3785. Note that taking the MPA might make you eligible for a higher level math course than is accessible by just using the exceptions below.
- Western will continue to allow APTP Math Placement Test scores for students who entered Western prior to Fall 2017; scores are valid for 5 years from original test date.
- The MPA is not required for entrance into Math 099 (Review Algebra – no degree credit).
- Within one year of high school graduation, students who provide evidence of meeting the college readiness standard on the Smarter Balanced Assessment (Level 3 or higher) may enroll in Math 107 without taking the placement assessment. To receive permission to register for Math 107 without taking the MPA, students need to bring their Smarter Balanced Mathematics Assessment Results Family Report, provided by the State of Washington Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction, to the Math Department.
- Students who earned a C- or better in a college Intermediate Algebra course within the last 5 years may register for Math 107 or Math 112 without taking the MPA.
- Students who earned a C+ or better in a Precalculus I course are eligible for Math 157 or Math 240 without taking the MPA.
- Students who earned a C+ or better in the second/final course in a college Precalculus sequence may register for Math 124 (Calculus) without taking the MPA. Completing only the first course in such a sequence (i.e. Precalculus I) will not meet this requirement.
- The MPA is waived for students who scored a three or higher on the College Board AP Calculus Exam (AB or BC). Students who scored a three or higher and who plan to take another Math course are advised to discuss their options with a Math advisor at (360) 650-3785. Exception: Students seeking admission to Honors Math 134 or Math 138 MUST take the MPA.
- The MPA is waived for students who have college credit (and grade of C- or better) for a Calculus course equivalent to Math 124 (Calculus and Analytical Geometry).
- Students who plan to complete a Bachelor of Arts in Education – Elementary or Special Education and have earned a C or better in a college Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, or Precalculus course within the last five years may, after admission to Western’s Elementary or Special Education programs, register for Math 381 without taking the MPA.
Students who have completed the ALEKS MPA at another college may be eligible to use those scores for placement here at Western. The requirements for transferring ALEKS MPA scores to Western:
- ALEKS MPA taken one or more times in a proctored setting at another school – requires verified scores.
How to transfer scores:
- Students need to login to ALEKS and pull/print their score report - https://www.aleks.com/
- Assure the score report shows the student’s full name and that it was a “proctored” score
- Write in the student’s Western ID# on the score report
- Bring the report to the Registrar’s Office (Old Main 230), or print/scan and e-mail your ALEKS score report to Registrar.Office@wwu.edu.