Extended Education - WesternOnline works with faculty, departments, and colleges to support online development and instruction to bring high quality educational opportunities to students in Washington and around the globe. If you would like additional information on developing online offerings at Western, please complete the form at the bottom of this page.
Development & Design
- Discuss departmental needs for online development options with your department chair.
- Meet with Extended Education – WesternOnline to investigation development options.
- Begin course design and development.
- Extended Education will work with your department and college on departmental teaching schedule of courses offered through Extended Education.
Extended Education Serves the Following Functions for Academic Year Self-Sustaining Offerings
- Initiates Preliminary Authorization to Develop (online courses only) with contract/compensation details
- Provides faculty support in converting curriculum from F2F to online delivery format
- Handles AYSS Banner course set-up, including unique fiscal coding details
- Fields all inquiries to inform students of the AYSS tuition details
- Works with Financial Aid, Registrar’s Office and Student Accounts re: any related student issues
- Coordinates detailed e-confirmation that goes out to students who do register via Web4U (online courses only); this includes information about ordering required textbooks online, accessing Western's learning management system and distance library resources
- Coordinates fiscal and contracting details including faculty contract and payroll
- Initiates and routes contract and/or H.R. paperwork as required
- Reconciles tuition revenue and coordinates net revenue share model with college
Academic Department Responsibilities
- Verifies Dean’s and departmental committee's support of AYSS offerings
- Authorizes course offerings
- Approves faculty and curriculum
- Answers any curricular questions that may arise
- If new course, then follows college/institutional procedures for course approval
- Requests and reviews faculty course evaluations according to college policies and procedures
For Additional Details on Planning and Scheduling
Please refer to the Planning and Scheduling Webpage.
Useful Links and Forms
A complete listing of Extended Education eForms can be found on the Web Forms Finder.
- Extended Education - Preliminary Authorization to Develop eForm
This should be initiated by Extended Education after consultations with department and faculty
- Extended Education - Planning Document Approval eForm
This form will be initiated by Extended Education after consultation with department
- Extended Education - Class Schedule Changes and Corrections eForm
Please use this form to make changes and/or corrections to courses that have gone through the course approval process.
For additional resource for developing and delivery online courses, go to the Western Resources webpage.