High School Volunteer Program
Each summer, Youth Programs hosts a variety of student programs on Western’s campus. Our volunteers serve as aids for the instructors and as role models to the participants. Examples of a volunteer’s daily responsibilities might include conversation practice with international students, assisting an instructor in classroom activities, or attending local field trips around Bellingham.
Our various programs are for students ranging from 4th to 11th grade and include both local and international participants. Volunteers will have the opportunity to work in a variety of Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics (STEM), fine art, English immersion and American culture classes.
- Foster collaboration between local and international students in a fun, academic setting
- Support teachers in their work with all students
- Provide high school students with an opportunity to expand their work experience
Perks of Volunteering
- Earn service learning hours
- Gain work experience and potential references
- Become familiar with Western’s campus
- Meet some WWU faculty and staff
- Lunch in the Viking Commons for full-day volunteers
- Must have completed ninth grade by Summer 2018
- Available for at least one full week of morning and/or afternoon sessions during July and/or August
- Two or more weeks is preferred
- Must be able to attend one of the training sessions offered in June 2018
To apply, send an email with an attached cover letter and resume with a subject line including “High School Volunteer Application” to firstname.lastname@example.org. Priority applications are due by 5 p.m. on May 1, 2018. The final application deadline is 5 p.m. on May 28, 2018. If you have any questions, please direct them to email@example.com.
In your resume, please be sure to include the following information:
- Best phone number to reach you
- Best email address to reach you
- Name of your current high school
- Grade level for the 2018/2019 school year
- Any relevant academic, professional, or volunteer experiences
In your cover letter, please be sure to address each of the following:
- Expand on any previous volunteer or work experience you may have included in your resume.
- Describe your experience working collaboratively with a team.
- Describe your experience in leadership roles.
- Are there any days/weeks you know you will be unavailable to volunteer during July and August 2018?
At a Glance
Grades 10 - 12
(Must have completed 9th grade)
July - August
This is a volunteer position